Requesting Military Records

Service members need to verify veteran status to receive veterans benefits. You will need a copy of your DD Form 214 to do this. We recommend all veterans, when released from active duty, bring a copy of their 214 into their county veterans office, they will help you get it recorded do to the importance of this document.

Active Duty and Reserve Military Records

If you do not have a copy of your DD Form 214 or other military records and we are unable to obtain them for you, you can request a copy from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by mail or fax using Standard Form 180, or completing an online form and submitting the signature page you receive when you have completed the form.

Replace lost awards and decorations

To request a set of medals awarded during your service you will need to submit a Standard Form 180 requesting the re-issue of your medals. The NPRC will find your military records and forward to the branch of service that you served in. This process may take several months to a year to complete. The program only allows a one-time reissue of the medal.

If the request is by a family member the family member must meet specific requirements of the active duty component in which the veteran served. The next of kin may apply for the medals.

Mailing address

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Fax number

(314) 801-9195

For more information visit the National Personnel Records Center

Wisconsin National Guard Records

You can request a copy of your Wisconsin National Guard Records by mail or fax using Standard Form 180.

Mailing address

Wisconsin National Guard
PO Box 8111
Madison WI 53708-8111

Fax Number

(608) 242-3400

For more information visit the Wisconsin Department of Military affairs